Acupuncture during pregnancy may help with a range of symptoms. During the first trimester it helps nourish the body and alleviate early pregnancy symptoms such as fatigue, nausea and heartburn. As your pregnancy progresses, the aches and pains, constipation and swelling that goes along with pregnancy can be greatly alleviated by acupuncture. Throughout all stages of pregnancy it is safe and gentle with minimal adverse effects. It can be used to help treat;
- Vulval varices
- Varicose veins
- Restless legs
- Back, hip, symphysis pubis pain and sciatica
- Itching without a rash
- Pregnancy induced hypertension
- Threatened miscarriage
Acuneedling used to prepare the body for your childbirth experience works by tonifying and nourishing the body. The acupuncture points used help;
- Soften and relax uterine ligaments
- Increase blood flow to the pelvis
- Encourage your baby to move into an optimal position for labour and birth
- Prepare the cervix to soften and dilate
- Encourage the uterine muscles to contract effectively when needed
- Encourage you to relax your body and calm your mind, allowing you to keep in control as you prepare for your childbirth experience
Additional acupuncture points can be added if you are past your due date to help your baby engage into the pelvis, strengthen contractions and gently encourage cervical softening and dilation.
Acupuncture in the postnatal period is used to provide relaxation, grounding and to honour your postpartum body. This treatment uses needles and moxibustion. Moxibustion is based on the same basic principles as acupuncture, but instead of inserting needles, long sticks of the mugwort herb are burned near certain acupuncture points along your body. Both the heat from the burning and properties of the herb itself are thought to provide physical benefits.
Acupuncture can also be used to help treat breastfeeding issues, such as blocked ducts and early onset mastitis. This is an effective therapy in combination with a Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) and/or your GP.
Your baby is always welcome during your postnatal appointment, where I can help attend to your baby while you use your time to rest and relax.